As your school board member, I look forward to being in regular contact with students, families, teachers, school leaders, and community members about the issues in OUSD. I have said consistently throughout this campaign that the role of the school board is to balance input from all of these stakeholders and make decisions in the best interest of student success.
I also believe there is more we can do to engage our students in developing solutions. Through all of my work in education, I've worked with students - from K12 through college - to co-create ways of addressing the barriers they face. As a school board member, I'll continue that approach. (Related, I encourage all votes to support Oakland Youth Vote/Measure QQ with will give students greater voice in OUSD.)
I believe in an approach to leadership that is rooted in the community and that listens before deciding. To ensure I'm listening well, I'm committed to the following actions:
- Regular Town Hall Meetings (either in-person or via Zoom)
- Community Solutions Workshops, where we will come together to design solutions to challenges we're facing - with a special focus on elevating student voice
- Monthly Newsletters with updates and highlights about issues in OUSD and before the board
- Responsive Communication - and open lines of dialogue between me and constituents at all times
- Budget Updates well-before key decisions are made
- Frequent School Site Visits in District 1 and throughout OUSD
My hope is that open, honest communication between all stakeholders and can deepen trust and facilitate collaboration in District 1 and throughout the Oakland community. With such diverse, informed, and creative viewpoints, we must be committed to working together to keep OUSD moving in the right direction.
Together for students,
Do you like this page?